Today I will be making the tomato eggs, a popular home cooking dish. Before that, let me share with you a very interesting article about tomato I came across. The article discusses about whether a tomato is actually a fruit or a vegetable. I never think about this question before because to me the answer should be very obvious and straightforward, tomato is a vegetable.
However, the article saying that tomato is technically a fruit and this really surprised me. According to the article, anything that grows on a plant and is the means by which that plant gets its seeds out into the world is a fruit. Whereas a vegetable must be part of a plant or the whole plant itself.
Whichever case it is, whether a tomato is a fruit or vegetable, it really doesn’t matter to me. To me, tomato is certainly a good ingredient for making good dish!
As the name tell you that the main ingredients for tomato eggs are tomatoes and eggs. With some salt and sugar for flavouring, you can make a very delicious dish. The tomato eggs is very nice to serve with porridge or rice. Personally, I prefer to serve it with porridge.
Below is my tomato eggs recipe, I hope you would love it. Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium size fresh tomato cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Some chopped scallions
- Break the eggs into a bowl and use a fork to beat the eggs until they break thoroughly.
- Add salt, sesame oil, oyster sauce, white pepper powder to the eggs and lightly beat to blend well. Set aside.
- Heat up a frying pan with 1 tablespoons cooking oil at medium heat. Add the egg mixture into the frying pan, and use a spatula to spread the eggs.
- Gently stir and break the eggs into small pieces. As soon as the eggs are cooked, dish out on a plate and set aside.
- Clean the frying pan and heat it up again with 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Add in the tomato wedges and do a few quick stirs.
- Add sugar and water into the tomatoes and do few quick stirs. Cover it with the lid and let it cook for about 1 minute with medium heat.
- Lastly, add in the cooked eggs and chopped scallions into the tomatoes and stir-fry for about 1 minute then dish out and serve hot with rice or porridge.