Today, I will be making the mashed potato and I found the Joel Robuchon’s mashed potato recipe from my favourite food blog, Rasa Malaysia. I did some changes to the recipe to suit my own taste. You can check out the original recipe from Rasa Malaysia website.
Since I was a kid, I had been the fan of mashed potato. I love its silky-smooth texture and the buttery taste. Whenever I go to KFC, mashed potato is a must have food in my order.
Joel Robuchon was a famous French chef and restaurateur. He owned many Michelin rated restaurants around the world. He also published many cookbooks French and English. It’s very sad to know that he passed away in August this year.
For the recipe, you only need 4 ingredients to make Joel Robuchon’s mashed potato. Russet potato, unsalted butter, full-cream milk and ground white pepper, that’s all you need. Let’s get started and below are the cooking instructions.
Joel Robuchon’s Mashed Potato
- 350 grams russet potatoes, scrubbed but unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 100 ml whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan with 8 cups of cold water and 1
tablespoon of coarse salt. Cover the saucepan with lid and bring the water to a simmer. Let it cooks until a knife slips in the potatoes easily and cleanly. This process will take about about 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes and peel them.
- Put them through a potato ricer into a large bowl. If you don’t have a potato ricer, you can use a folk to slowly mill the potatoes.
- Now, transfer the potatoes to a saucepan. On medium-low heat, add the chilled butter cubes to the potatoes and stir continuously. Your goal is to make the potatoes into a smooth and creamy texture, this process will take about 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan heat up the milk and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the very hot milk in a thin stream and stir briskly. Keep stirring until all the milk is absorbed. Turn off the heat and add the 1/4 teaspoons salt and ground white pepper. Continue to stir it for another 1 minute.
- Serve the mashed potato immediately. If you like, add a small cube of butter on top of the mashed potatoes before serving.