Egg Tart is one of my favourite desserts for tea-time. If you are an egg tart lover, you will properly know that there are many types of egg tart and they are differentiated by the ingredients used or the methods of baking. Generally, it consists of an outer pastry crust that is filled with egg custard and baked. There are two main types of egg tart crusts, puff-like texture crust or crisp cookie-like texture crust. For me, I prefer the later one, the crisp cookie-like texture crust egg tart.
Alright, I am going to show you the recipe for crisp cookie-like texture version of egg tart now. Some called it the Cantonese Egg Tart, some called it the Chinese Egg Tart, I am not sure. Whichever it is, but it definitely a yummy version and I hope you will like it. 😉
This recipe makes 10 egg tarts. I used 10 small tart pans (width: 3 inch; depth: 1 inch ). If you don’t have tart pan, you may use muffin pan.
Recipe from Butter and Olive Baking Academy.
Egg Tart Recipe
|Ingredients for crust:
- Unsalted butter 65 grams
- Icing sugar 52 grams
- Egg 27 grams
- Plain flour (sieved) 156 grams
- Salt 2 grams
Ingredients for filling (Egg custard):
- Water 91 grams
- Sugar 52 grams
- Fresh milk 78 grams
- Egg 78 grams
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and place rack in center of oven.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour with the salt.
- Place the butter in a large bowl, with a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat until softened.
- Add icing sugar beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten egg and beat just until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture from (1) all at once and mix just until it form a ball.
- Scale the dough into small ball 30 gram each.
- Evenly pat each small dough onto the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan.
- Lightly prick bottom of the crust with the tines of a fork. This will prevent the dough from puffing up as it bakes.
- Place tart pan on a larger baking pan and bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, we will prepare the filling, the egg custard.
Methods (Egg custard):
- Whisk egg with fresh milk. Set aside for later use.
- Place water and sugar in a pan and heat until sugar dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Gradually add egg and fresh milk mixture from (1) to sugar and water mixture. Stir constantly until mixed well.
- Lastly, sift the egg custard mixture. Set aside for later use.
- By now, your crust shall be ready for the next step of baking. Your crust should still look light in colour. Remove crust from oven and let it cool down for about 5 minutes. Do not switch off your oven, leave it at 180°C.
- Carefully pour egg custard mixture into each crust shell (about 90% full).
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until you see the egg custard being puffed up a bit. Switch off your oven and let the egg tart stay in the oven for another 5 minutes.