Mee Siam is a spicy, sweet and sour stir fried rice vermicelli dish. There are two types of mee siam, with gravy or stir fried. Both are use the same recipe. I am sharing the version of stir fried. Usually, thin rice vermicelli is used. However, I want to make a different to it so I used thick rice vermicelli. It tastes nice as well!
I had also discarded another ingredient, the fermented yellow bean sauce. I did not use it because I forgot to buy it! 😛 I shall include this ingredient in my next cooking. Don’t worry, my mee siam recipe is also delicious and yummy even without the fermented yellow bean sauce. Enjoy!
Mee Siam Recipe
This recipe serves 3 to 4 persons.
- 400 grams thick rice vermicelli
- 50 grams bean sprout
- 50 grams dried shrimp
- 5 red chillies
- 2 shallots
- 3 gloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece of tofu (fried and cut into pieces)
- 2 stalks of spring onion, cut into section length
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 400 ml water
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste / Asam paste
- Add 2 tablespoons water to tamarind paste in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse dried shrimp and soap in water for about 5 minutes.
- Cut red chillies, shallots and garlics into small pieces.
- Blend dried shrimp, red chillies, shallots and garlics using a blender until finely blended.
- Heat up a wok with 4 tablespoons oil. Fry the chilli mixture at low heat until aromatic.
- Add water to fried chilli paste and boil it at medium heat.
- Add in tamarind juice, sugar and salt to taste.
- Now you can add in thick rice vermicelli and cook it at high heat until almost dry.
- Add in bean sprout and spring onion. Fry for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Lastly, garnish mee siam with 2 pieces of fried tohu and serve hot.