Roti canai or roti prata is my favourite Indian food. It is usually served with curry sauce like chicken curry, fish curry or dalcha curry. Personally I like dalcha curry better. It is cooked in lentil and vegetables with some spices. Today, I came across the dalcha curry recipe at xinshipu.com (心食谱). As a result, I decided to give it a try. This is my first attempt to cook the curry but the result not bad. It tastes quite good! You may serve the dalcha curry with rice too. It is as good as with roti prata. I hope you like this recipe too. Enjoy!
Dalcha Curry Recipe
- 100 grams Lentil (pre-soak for about 3 hours and drained)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 medium size carrot (cut into cube size)
- 1 medium size potato (cut into cube size)
- 50 grams long bean (cut into section length)
- 1 tablespoons garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoons ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons meat curry powder, add 3 tablespoons of water to mix into curry paste.
- 1.2 litre water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt or to taste
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat up the wok with 5 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Add in garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant. Then add in onion and stir-fry until fragrant and become golden colour.
- Add in all spices (star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leave) and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Then add in curry paste and stir-fry at low heat until well combined.
- Add the water and turn to high heat to boil.
- Add lentil and all the vegetables and continue to cook. When boiled turn to low heat to simmer for about hour or until lentil is soften.
- Add salt and sugar to taste and it is ready to serve.