Gingerbread men are a cookie made of gingerbread in the shape of a stylized human. You can see them especially during the Christmas. They are quite a festive baking. If you are familiar with characters in the movie “Shrek” you should know Gingy, the gingerbread men. Most children like them. Lately, I baked some gingerbread men cookies for a Christmas celebration lunch I attended. You know what, the kids (including my son) really like the gingerbread men. Now, let’s see how to make these cute cookies. Enjoy! 🙂
This recipe makes about 25 pieces cookies (5.5 cm length).
- 80 grams unsalted butter
- 70 grams brown sugar
- 1 gram salt
- 30 grams egg
- 150 grams plain flour
- 1 gram baking powder
- 4 grams ginger powder
- 2 grams cinnamon powder
- 1 gram nutmeg powder
- 50 grams dark chocolate for decoration (melted)
- In a bowl, whisk together plain flour, baking powder, ginger powder, cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter until creamy.
- Add salt and brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg in 2 additions and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm. (1 to 2 hour)
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 0.3 to 0.4 cm.
- Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Use a rubber spatula lift the cookies onto the baking sheet. Leave enough space between cookies.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Remove the cookies from oven and let it cool completely.
- Place the melted dark chocolate in a piping bag and decorate the gingerbread men as desired.