Wonton Soup. A wonton also called wantan in Cantonese. It is a type of dumpling of Chinese cuisines. Wonton is made by wonton wrapper with ground pork and shrimp as the filling. The filling mixture is seasoned with light soy sauce, white pepper powder, salt sugar, oyster sauce, sesame oil and some cornstarch.
Green onion or water chestnut can be added but it is optional. This time round I am not adding them. In Malaysia, wonton is usually serve with noodles and we call it Wonton noodles or Wantan Mee. However, today I am not making wonton noodles but wonton soup. In this case, I need chicken stock to make the soup and I used Maggi concentrated chicken stock. Without further ado, let’s see how to make the wonton soup.
Wonton Soup Recipe
- 1 packet wonton wrappers
- 150g pork (minced)
- 150g prawn meat
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 1 liter water
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons Maggi concentrated chicken stock
- 2 stalks of scallion for garnishing (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (except wonton wrapper) for wonton and mix well.
- Use a teaspoon to spread the filling mixture in the middle of each wonton wrapper.
- Then sealing the wonton into the desired shape by compressing the wrapper’s edges together with the fingers.
- Repeat the steps 2 and 3 for the rest of wonton wrappers. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok with 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Fry the sliced shallots until it starts to turn lightly golden in colour.
- Add water to the fried shallots . Add the Maggi concentrated chicken stock and bring the water to boil.
- Now, add salt to taste and turn the heat to medium. Drop the wontons into the water. Stirring gently so that the wontons don’t stick together. Continue to boil for 2 to 3 minutes until the wontons are cooked.
- Transfer the wonton soup into a bowl and garnish with some scallion and serve immediately.