Sichuan Preserved Vegetables also known as Zha cai (榨菜) or 四川菜 in chinese. It is a type of pickled mustard plant stem originating from Sichuan, China. The taste of Sichuan Preserved Vegetables is a combination of spicy, sour and salty. There are various ways to use Sichuan Preserved Vegetables in cooking. One is to use it in soup cooking. My wife and myself love this soup very much. We enjoy serving it with plain rice. Waste no time, let’s see the recipe.
Sichuan Preserved Vegetables and Pork Ribs Soup Recipe
- 500 grams pork ribs (cut into 2 inches length)
- 2 sichuan preserved vegetables
- 1 carrot
- 4 cloves garlics
- 2 tomatoes
- 1.5 liter water
- Blanch the pork ribs quickly in boiling water till there are no more traces of blood. Drain and set aside.
- Rinse the preserved vegetables with water to remove the chillies paste.
- Soak the vegetable in water for 10 minutes before cutting. This is to reduce the saltiness. You can cut a small bit to taste.
- Slice the tomatoes into wedges.
- Peel and cut the carrot diagonally bite size.
- Using a clean pot, bring 1.5 liter of water to boil.
- Add in all the ingredients into the pot and bring to boil again.
- Reduce heat and cover lid. Simmer the soup for 2 hours. Serve hot.