Red Yeast Rice Pumpkin Seed Cookies is a cookie in red colour without colouring. It is coloured naturally by using the red yeast rice powder. I found this recipe in 孟老师的100多道手工饼干. It caught my eyes when I first browse through this cook book. When I bake I always try to avoid using any artificial colouring in my baking. I like to use natural ingredients to colour my baking. Cocoa powder, green tea powder, Pandan juice and red yeast rice are among the natural ingredient example you can use it for colouring. OK, let’s how you can make this special cookies. Enjoy!
Red Yeast Rice Pumpkin Seed Cookies Recipe
This recipe make about 35 cookies.
Recipe from 孟老师的100多道手工饼干。
- 70 grams unsalted butter
- 60 grams icing sugar
- 15 grams egg yolk
- 15 grams fresh milk
- 150 gram plain flour
- 10 grams red yeast rice powder
- 80 grams pumpkin seeds
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy with a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Add the egg yolk and beat until incorporated.
- Add in fresh milk in few addition and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the plain flour and red yeast rice powder. Then add to the butter and egg mixture. With a spatula, mix just until incorporated.
- Fold in pumpkin seeds and mix well with hand and form it into dough.
- Gently knead the dough into a 3.5 cm diameter cylinder, and then wrapped in a parchment paper, refrigerated it for about 2 to 3 hours to be solidified.
- Cut the solidified cylinder dough into 1 cm pieces each. Place them into the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown.