Gingerbread men are a cookie made of gingerbread in the shape of a stylized human. You can see them especially during the Christmas. They are quite a festive baking. If you are familiar with characters in the movie “Shrek” you should know Gingy, the gingerbread men. Most children like them. Lately, I baked some gingerbread men cookies for a Christmas celebration lunch I attended. You know what, the kids (including my son) really like the gingerbread men. Now, let’s see how to make these cute cookies.
This recipe makes about 25 pieces cookies (5.5 cm length).
- 80 grams unsalted butter
- 70 grams brown sugar
- 1 gram salt
- 30 grams egg
- 150 grams plain flour
- 1 gram baking powder
- 4 grams ginger powder
- 2 grams cinnamon powder
- 1 gram nutmeg powder
- 50 grams dark chocolate for decoration (melted)
- In a bowl, whisk together plain flour, baking powder, ginger powder, cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter until creamy.
- Add salt and brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg in 2 additions and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm. (1 to 2 hour)
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 0.3 to 0.4 cm.
- Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Use a rubber spatula lift the cookies onto the baking sheet. Leave enough space between cookies.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Remove the cookies from oven and let it cool completely.
- Place the melted dark chocolate in a piping bag and decorate the gingerbread men as desired.