Fried hokkien prawn noodle is a very popular dish in Singapore. It is very delicious and tasty. Personally, I like its rich prawn taste. Pork lard is commonly used in fried hokkien prawn noodle. However, it is alright to leave without it if you don’t like pork lard. In my case, I didn’t use pork lard. Two types of noodles are used in this dish, yellow noodle and thick rice vermicelli. Other ingredients like pork belly, squid, bean sprout, spring onion and chilli are also playing essential part to make this dish complete and delicious.
Don’t be confused with other type of hokkien noodles. You might hear of Penang hokkien prawn noodle. You might have tried the fried hokkien noodle (Hokkien Char Mee). However, they are different dishes from fried hokkien prawn noodle. Penang hokkien prawn noodle is a soup-based prawn noodle whereas fried hokkien prawn noodle is a fried-based prawn noodle. As for fried hokkien noodle, it is basically a Hokkien style fried noodle. It is a dish of thick yellow noodle fried in thick dark soy sauce with ingredients like pork, fish cake, squid and cabbage. I hope my explanation did not confuse you further more. :p Enjoy!
Fried Hokkien Prawn Noodle
This recipe serves 3 to 4 persons.
- 250 grams yellow noodle
- 250 grams thick rice vermicelli
- 300 grams prawn
- 200 grams squid (cut into rings)
- 200 grams pork belly
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 2 stalks spring onion (cut into section length)
- 3 eggs
- 50 grams bean sprout
- 1 chilli (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 dashes pepper
- 1 calamansi lime (cut into half)
- Peel the prawn head and shell except prawn tail. Heat up a wok with one tablespoon oil and stir fry the prawn head and shell until fragrant.
- Add fried prawn head and shell into chicken stock and boil for 30 minutes.
- Add the pork belly into the stock and boil for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the pork belly from the stock and let it cool down before cut it into strips.
- Blanch prawns and squids in boiling water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with two tablespoons oil. Add in eggs and scramble for about one minute. Then add in garlic and fry for a while.
- Add in yellow noodle and rice vermicelli. Fry for a few minutes at high heat.
- Add in prawn stock, fish sauce and pepper. Stir fry for a while then cover wok to simmer the noodles on medium low heat for about 5 minutes or until stock is almost dry.
- Lastly, add in prawn, squid, pork belly, bean sprout, spring onion and chilli. Fry for another one minute. Serve hot with calamansi lime.
- You may serve it with sambal chilli. For me, I omitted it as I like the original taste.